Students study up a storm

Andrea Hauser

The end of the semester is in sight, and ISU students are preparing for their final tests before they cross sring’s finish line.

For many students, using good studying habits can make the difference between whether they cross the line at a sprint or with a stumble.

Sara Brenner, academic resource coordinator for Maple Hall, said there are several techniques students can use to improve their studying.

One of the most important factors to good study skills is planning which subjects are going to be studied and for how long, said Brenner, junior in genetics.

“It’s often effective to study the most difficult and lengthy subjects first, preferably while the sun is still up,” she said.

Jennifer Reiter, scholarship chairwoman for Kappa Delta sorority, 2102 Sunset Drive, agreed having a studying plan is helpful.

“I think planning is a very important part of it,” said Reiter, sophomore in elementary education. “Especially during this time of the year, it’s very easy to become unfocused.”

Once students have started studying, Brenner said one way to stay focused is to use tools such as flash cards, diagrams, outlines and summaries to help break up the information and prevent confusion.

Brenner said one tool she finds helpful is to color-code her notes with highlighters.

“It helps me organize information in a way I can remember it,” she said. “It also helps me pull things together in the big picture instead of focusing on the nitty-gritty details.”

Allowing enough time to be thorough is another skill Reiter said she has found to be important.

“I give myself a lot of time for certain subjects so I know I can cover everything,” she said.

Brenner said using different places to study is another tactic many students find helpful.

“In your room, there are a multitude of distractions that are not conducive to studying,” she said.

Students should try to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, Reiter said, and avoid drinking milk because it makes people tired.

“Everybody has their own individual studying techniques,” she said. “Know when you’re going to lose your concentration so that you can plan around that.”

Brenner said many students are most productive when they study in two-hour blocks.

“It’s important to take breaks to stay efficient,” she said. “Just take a break, and come back to it when you’re fresh.”

Brenner also said although finals week can be stressful, students should try to remember it only lasts one week.

“The bottom line is that while these tests are important academically, you should keep things in perspective,” she said. “We will survive finals, and the show will go on.”