Veishea serves up Black Eyed Peas

Valerie Dennis

Veishea Center Stage is just five days away, and the Veishea entertainment committee has announced that Black Eyed Peas, a trio of rappers from Los Angeles, will be the headliners.

The group’s sound is a mixture of hip-hop and R & B. Its latest CD, “Bridging the Gaps,” will be released this spring.

Brooke Douglas, entertainment co-chair, said Black Eyed Peas has a different kind of sound than the ISU community is used to hearing.

“It’s nice that we were able to get something different at Iowa State that many haven’t really seen,” said Douglas, senior in marketing.

Tom Duncan, entertainment co-chair, also said having Black Eyed Peas perform is a good opportunity for Veishea.

“They are a different style band and break the mold of what was done in the past,” said Duncan, senior in mechanical engineering.

Two bands will be opening for Black Eyed Peas; they will be announced early this week.

Although Black Eyed Peas isn’t well-known to the ISU community, the Veishea committee is still excited for the band to perform.

“People at first were hesitant when they didn’t know of the Black Eyed Peas,” said Veishea Co-chair Justin Chesnut. “Once they found out some background information about the group, I began to hear positive comments about the concert.”

Douglas said the concert will reach a different audience than in the past.

“Several people are pleased that we are mixing things up this year,” Duncan said. “We want to appeal to all the different student groups. This is a celebration for everyone.”

Duncan said he wished the band would have been announced a few weeks earlier, but he said the delay was due to the way things came together.

Tickets for the show are currently on sale for students at the Stephens Auditorium ticket office. ISU students can buy one student ticket for $5 and one non-student ticket for $8. To purchase tickets, students must present their ISU cards and fee cards.

Faculty and staff, ISU alumni and Ames residents may purchase two non-student tickets for $8 each starting at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Stephens Auditorium. Faculty and staff must present ISU identification at time of purchase, and Ames residents must have a valid photo identification proving Ames residency.

All tickets are reserved seating and will be the same price the day of the show.

The doors to Hilton Coliseum will open at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, April 15.