Six students win Veishea Scholar honors

Tera Lawson

Six high school students made it through two rounds of cuts and deliberation to be chosen as this year’s Veishea Scholars.

The students were chosen out of more than 100 applicants from all over the United States.

“The scholarship committee received a number of well-qualified applicants, and it was a very difficult decision for us to narrow the group down to the final six,” said Kristin Guiter, Veishea Scholar co-chair.

The final six scholarship winners are: Rebecca Anderson from LaVista, Neb.; Sean Corcoran from Fairbank; Keegan Kautzky from Perry; Jill Millhollin from Guthrie Center; Lois Oldham from Blakesburg; and Stephanie Roepke from Aurora.

The scholars are planning to major in a wide variety of areas when they get to Iowa State next fall.

Corcoran plans to major in computer science, while Roepke is planning to be an English major. Oldham and Kautzky are both going to be biology majors, and Kautzky will make her second major Spanish.

Anderson and Millhollin will also pursue double majors in public relations and marketing, and marketing and transportation logistics respectively.

Brooke Doering, public relations co-chair, said the students were chosen because of what they could potentially contribute to the university.

“These students were highly involved in high school and are likely to end up doing great stuff at Iowa State as well,” she said.

Doering, junior in journalism and mass communication, said the scholarship is successful in recruiting more people to come to Iowa State.

“It is a good way to get them acquainted, not only with Veishea, but with Iowa State as well,” she said.

Justin Hattan, community outreach co-chair, said the scholarship recipients will be able to view what the student-run celebration is all about.

“This will be a great opportunity for the scholars to sample what Veishea and Iowa State have to offer,” said Hattan, senior in economics and political science.

Each of the Veishea Scholars will receive a $500 scholarship, be recognized at a formal reception Saturday morning and be featured in the Veishea Parade.