SEC collects signatures for petition to regents

Valerie Dennis

More than 700 people have signed a Student Environmental Council petition urging the state Board of Regents to divest Iowa State’s holdings in several companies.

The SEC is asking the regents to pull from Iowa State’s investment portfolio all companies that are members of the Global Climate Corporation, a group of corporations that student activists say are downplaying the environmental effects of global warming.

Four companies in which Iowa State invests — Exxon/Mobil, General Motors, TECO Energy and Norfolk Southern Energy Corporation — are GCC members.

SEC Co-president Katie Theisen, junior in environmental science, said as of Wednesday, the group had collected about 700 signatures, although she said there are many separate petition sheets that haven’t yet been counted.

The SEC wants to obtain 2000 signatures by Earth Day, April 22, and then present it to the Board of Regents.

“We haven’t contacted the Board of Regents yet,” Theisen said. “We are waiting for more students’ signatures.”

Theisen said the SEC will send the board a letter outlining what action members would like the regents to consider before presenting them with the petition.

“I want the Board of Regents to realize they are harming the environment and to act responsibility,” Theisen said. “This would help pave the way for Iowa State to be the No. 1 land-grant university because ISU would be standing behind their students and issues.”

Theisen said ISU students should be concerned about global warming in Iowa because it increases the probability of adverse weather conditions and droughts, both which would wreak havoc on the economy of the agriculture-dependent state.

SEC member Shelly Higdon, senior in environmental science and biology, said the reception to the petition has been warm for the most part.

“We have been getting good response from people by signing the petition,” she said. “People have heard a lot about global warming and are willing to support our cause.”

The group members are getting their message out in a variety of ways, including setting up signing booths at dining centers and on campus. The SEC’s next push for signatures will be at a signing booth Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in front of Parks Library.