Spanish Club plans pre-break bash

Nina Fox

In order to recognize the presence of diversity at Iowa State, the Spanish Club has been rebuilding itself this year.

Spanish Club President Katie Peterson became a member two years ago to pursue her interest in Hispanic culture. After the graduation of the previous club president, Peterson’s cousin, membership drastically declined.

“The club was pretty much dead and just started to take off about six months ago,” said Peterson, junior in international business and management. “When it first started up again, we had maybe five people at each meeting.”

But under new direction and with a full schedule of events, the club has taken off once again, with about 30 students claiming membership.

“The club also sponsors language conferences, holiday potlucks and a Sunday night conversation table where we visit a different coffeehouse each week,” Peterson said.

Peterson said she thinks the club’s effort to bring more events and activities to the members has had a big impact on participation.

“As business is becoming more and more globalized, we need to be able to increase knowledge and understanding of one another,” Peterson said.

In a culture-colliding event, the club will be joining the Caribbean Club in sponsoring a Pre-Spring Break Beach Party on March 3.

Elias Lorenzo, adviser to both the Spanish and Caribbean Clubs, said the event will promote interest in different cultures and will be a great experience for everyone involved.

“It’s not just about learning about someone else, but interacting, speaking and understanding where they come from,” Lorenzo said.

Lorenzo said the Spanish Club is mostly made up of students from the United States with majors or minors in Spanish and international business, whereas the Caribbean Club is made up almost entirely of Latin American and Caribbean nationalities.

“Students can come in contact with Caribbean and Latin American students firsthand, and it’s also good for the international students to get acquainted with different cultures that are present here,” Lorenzo said.

Peterson said she is looking forward to this event, which is a fund-raiser for the Spanish Club’s trip to Chicago later this semester.

“I think it’s really important to raise awareness in the Hispanic culture and to expose people who are non-Hispanic to this background,” she said.

This is the first time the clubs are co-sponsoring an event.

“I think after people get over the barrier of being with people who are of different backgrounds, there is so much that can be learned from their experiences,” Peterson said.

With the money raised from the party, in addition to the help of the Government of the Student Body, the club plans to visit several cultural museums for their trip to the “Windy City,” including the Mexican Fine Arts Museum, the Mexican Council, the Puerto Rican offices and the Hispanic district for food and shopping.

The Pre-Spring Break Party will be held at Cafe Lovish, 2512 Lincoln Way.

It will feature live music from a group of Puerto Rican and Caribbean ISU students from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Dancing will continue through 2 a.m. for those 21 and older. Cost of attending is $4, and anyone interested is invited to come.

More information about joining the Spanish Club is available by e-mailing [email protected].