Campus plagued by rash of thefts

Heidi Jolivette

Michael Jimenez, member of the ISU men’s swim team, had his wallet stolen from the swimmers’ locker room in Beyer Hall. Jimenez said the locker room door has a security code, and he always locks his locker.

“I’d love to find out who did it,” said Jimenez, freshman in engineering. It was stolen two weeks ago.

A couple of days later, his wallet found its way back to Friley Hall, but only his identification and credit cards were in the wallet, Jimenez said. None of the estimated $50 in cash was still inside the wallet.

Jimenez’s case is one of many the ISU Department of Public Safety is investigating in what has become a series of thefts from campus lockers.

Between the Leid Recreational Center, Beyer Hall and State Gym, there have been eight reported thefts between Jan. 27 and Feb. 18, said Loras Jaeger, DPS director. There was also a report of an unauthorized individual in a locker room at the Veterinary Medicine Complex on Feb. 23.

“[They’re] particularly targeting wallets and cash,” Jaeger said.

Jaeger said at least some of the cases might be connected, but as of yet, DPS has no definite suspects. There are plenty of victims to go around, however.

Jake Kremer, senior in management information systems, lost his coat, watch, identifications and check card at the Leid Recreational Center during a Feb. 9 workout.

“I’ve been going to the rec for four years now and never worried about it before,” Kremer said. “I heard it’s been happening more lately.”

Kremer said he thinks whoever took his belongings probably was disappointed because he had no cash. The only item stolen that had cash value was his check card, and he canceled it right away.

Both Jimenez and Kremer said they are more careful with their belongings now. Jimenez said he double-checks his locker, even if he is only away from it for a short time, and he makes sure he knows where his wallet is at all times.

Kremer said he wears an old coat to the rec and doesn’t bring anything valuable. He also said he takes his belongings around to the other side of the workout area when he lifts weights to keep an eye on them.

“That’s pretty awful that I have to do that,” he said.

Jaeger said DPS is suggesting that students make sure to lock their lockers at all times and not to carry large amounts of cash with them when they work out.

Jaeger also encouraged students to report any suspicious activity by calling 294-4428.