Traveling poses some concerns for safety

Heidi Jolivette

Spring break is only a few hours away, providing a time to relax, have fun and, perhaps most importantly, stay safe.

Council Travel agent Ashley Klemme said some of the popular spring break locales for ISU students will be the beaches and sun of Mexico, Jamaica and Europe.

But while traveling, especially to other countries, students, faculty and staff should remember to put safety first, said Pam Thomas, director of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

“We want the students to have fun and to come back safely,” she said.

Thomas said her main concern for students is excessive drinking.

“Every right has a responsibility,” she said. “If you’re going to drink, drink responsibly.”

Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety, also said over-consumption of alcohol is the biggest factor in students’ getting into trouble during spring break.

“[Safety] is important,” Jaeger said. “This is where good memories come from.”

Some tips Jaeger suggested for spring breakers looking to reduce the risks that sometimes come with alcohol use is to employ the buddy system and to keep their drinks with them at all times.

Women especially need to be cautious, Jaeger said. In the past, they have been victims of assault, robbery and abuse during spring break trips.

Thomas said she advises students to leave their phone numbers with friends or family in case of an emergency and to always be aware of their surroundings.

She also said students should make sure to chain hotel and motel doors and to ask for identification from hotel staffers, as well as tell people where they are going and when they will be back.

Klemme said most of the companies her agency arranges spring break packages with print pamphlets on what is appropriate to do while traveling.

Students 18 years old or older are required to read and sign a release form ahead of time to agree to certain terms and conditions, leaving the individual responsible for things such as lost property.

Klemme’s advice for students is to be careful not to break any rules and to avoid doing anything suspect.

“Abide by the rules,” she said. “Stay with people and don’t be alone after dark.”

Students have come back from spring break in other countries and reported being victimized to DPS, Jaeger said. The appropriate recommendations and referrals are then taken to make sure students receive the help they need.

Both the Women’s Center and DPS can get students the proper help if they feel they have been victimized over spring break.

But the top priority, Jaeger said, is to have fun.

“Don’t get sunburnt, and have a good time,” he said.