Chicago health writer to share expertise in ISU class

Sara Tennessen

Some ISU journalism students will have the opportunity this semester to learn about health and fitness reporting from one of the most lauded writers in the business.

Bob Condor, ISU alumnus and Pulitzer Prize-nominated health and fitness writer for The Chicago Tribune, is the visiting professional for the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication. He will be teaching a second-half semester class this spring about sports and fitness reporting.

Condor created the health and fitness beat at The Chicago Tribune in 1993 and writes a syndicated weekly column on personal health, exercise and nutrition.

In addition to The Chicago Tribune, Condor has worked for The New York Daily News and has freelanced for several magazines. He has also authored or co-authored three books, including “Michael Jordan’s 50 Greatest Games” and “Jordan, the Sequel.”

In 1997, he was nominated by The Chicago Tribune for Pulitzer Prizes in both beat reporting for his column and in feature writing.

“[Condor] is exactly the kind of person we want our students to work with,” said John Eighmey, chairman of the Greenlee School. “He’s not only tremendously accomplished but highly versatile. He’s positioned for continuing his accomplishments in the new media world.”

Condor will use his experience to teach his class, which is a small, skills-oriented program with a maximum of 15 students. He will be team-teaching with Tom Emmerson, professor of journalism and mass communication, whom he studied under as a graduate student in 1983.

Emmerson said he believes Condor will set a good example for students.

“Bob is a great guy, very professional, easygoing and personable,” Emmerson said. “He’s open to ideas, which is the reason he’s successful. He talks to everyone from the janitor to the president.”

Condor will also make guest appearances in other journalism classes and will serve as a consultant to the Iowa State Daily’s sports department. He will continue writing his bi-weekly column on health and fitness for The Chicago Tribune while he’s staying in Ames.