Veishea announces comedian

Valerie Dennis

With Veishea less than a month away, the Veishea Committee has announced the comedian for this year’s Dew the Rec.

D. L. Hughley, the star of the Friday night ABC sitcom, “The Hughleys,” will be this year’s performer. Hughley was chosen from a number of potential entertainers.

“Basically, we surveyed a large number of students to see what entertainers they wanted to see perform,” said Tom Duncan, Veishea entertainment committee co-chair. “We looked over the cost and availability we had and have heard lots of positive comments about D. L. Hughley performing well on college campuses.”

Veishea Co-chair Justin Wilhelm said college students respond well to Hughley’s brand of comedy.

“People really enjoy D. L. Hughley; he’s a really funny guy,” said Wilhelm, senior in mechanical engineering. “Hughley’s humor is geared to a younger audience, which makes it especially good for younger people.”

Duncan, senior in mechanical engineering, said entertainers have enjoyed performing at Veishea in the past, and he expects Hughley to have a similar experience.

Hughley broke into the comedy scene by performing in clubs. Since an appearance early in his career on “Def Comedy Jam,” Hughley has been seen on Black Entertainment Television’s “Comic View,” MTV’s “Comedy Half-Hour,” several HBO specials, A&E’s “Evening at the Improv” and “The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.”

Hughley will be performing on Friday, April 14, in the Lied Recreation Center. Doors open at 7 p.m.

General admission tickets will be available for ISU students, alumni, faculty, staff and Ames residents Wednesday at the Stephens Auditorium ticket office. Students can purchase tickets at noon by presenting their ISUCard and fee card. Every student may purchase one student ticket for $5 and one non-student ticket for $8.

ISU alumni, faculty, staff and Ames residents can buy two non-student tickets at 10 a.m. Alumni must show their ISU Alumni Association Card, and Ames residents must show a valid photo ID. Faculty and staff must show ISU identification.

Leftover tickets will be available at the door for $8 the day of the show.