Dean MacKay may go West

Andrea Hauser

ISU Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay may be heading out West next year.

MacKay is one of four finalists in the University of Wyoming’s search for a new vice president of student affairs.

Kelly Milner, senior in journalism at the University of Wyoming in Laramie, Wyo., said the position became open after current Vice President James Hurst announced he was retiring at the end of May.

Milner, who’s an editor at the university’s student paper, said Hurst was extremely active after the death of student Matthew Shepard in October 1998. Shepard, who was gay, was the victim of a violent hate crime.

She said many members of the university community think Hurst is leaving some pretty big shoes to fill.

“[Hurst is] pretty nationally renowned for the work he’s done in student affairs,” she said. “People love him; he’s done some great things.”

MacKay said she found out she had been nominated for the position in early December. She said the nomination did not surprise her, since it’s fairly common in senior administrative positions.

“It’s a very good job, so I am going to go interview,” she said. “I’m going to go see if it’s a good fit.”

MacKay said the interview process will involve spending two days on the UW campus talking to people and learning more about the university. She said the UW position is similar to the one held by ISU Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill, except the UW campus is a little smaller than Iowa State’s.

The smaller campus was one of the things that makes the job attractive, MacKay said.

“It’s very important to me that I can balance my responsibilities and still work with students,” she said.

MacKay said it will be several weeks before the new vice president is announced, and she’ll be finishing the semester at Iowa State whether she’s hired or not.

Hill said he thinks MacKay is smart to pursue the position in Wyoming.

“It’s a good move on her part,” he said. “That’s exactly what I did to get to Iowa State.”

Hill said if MacKay was appointed as vice president of student affairs at the University of Wyoming, Iowa State would begin a nationwide search to fill her position. Hill said he thinks the search wouldn’t take long since many university administrators and faculty look for new job opportunities during the spring and summer.

Although she is looking into the position in Wyoming, MacKay was quick to say she is in no hurry to leave Ames and Iowa State.

“I would miss Iowa State students a lot,” she said. “They’re one of the best things about working here.”