Student stabbed in stomach, police say

David Roepke

An ISU student sustained a wound to the stomach Monday night in what police are saying was an accidental stabbing.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of the ISU Department of Public Safety, said DPS received a call from Mary Greeley Medical Center emergency room staff Monday at about 9:45 p.m.

Staff reported they were treating Eric Ashby, 18, 2242 Friley Hall, for a stab wound to the abdomen.

The wound was not serious and affected none of Ashby’s vital organs.

Stewart said he was treated and released.

Stewart said officers interviewed Ashby, freshman in performing arts from Chicago, and determined that the only other person present during the stabbing was Terra Harrkuhn, 2355 Friley Hall.

Simultaneous statements were taken from both Ashby and Harrkuhn, freshman in child and family services from Des Moines, Stewart said.

Both students gave identical accounts of the manner in which Ashby accidentally sustained the wound, Stewart said, though he declined to disclose specifics of theirs interviews.

“Both contended that this was an accidental stabbing, and we have no reason to believe otherwise,” he said.

Stewart said the incident occurred in Harrkuhn’s room in Friley.

The paring knife involved in the incident was recovered and processed by investigators, as were bloody articles of clothing.

Although he said reports were still being filed in connection with the case, Stewart said the investigation was essentially closed as of Wednesday, and no charges were anticipated to be filed.

Neither Ashby nor Harrkuhn could be reached for comment Wednesday night.