Faculty still looking for petition signatures

Jacqui Becker

One week after faculty began circulating a petition criticizing ISU President Martin Jischke, supporters are still working to gain more signatures, while detractors say it will go nowhere.

The petition, which was written by several ISU faculty members and an ISU alumnus, claims that there is a “climate of fear and repression” at Iowa State and that the university has become too research-intensive. The petition also asks the state Board of Regents to evaluate Jischke’s performance as university president.

“[The signatures have] started to come more rapidly,” said Carl Mize, facilitator of the petition. “I got 10 to 15 signatures today and am now pushing 100 signatures.”

Some faculty members are afraid of reprisals even if they are more established in the university community, said Jorgen Rasmussen, one of the faculty members who signed the original petition.

“They may be more fearful than they need to be,” said Rasmussen, distinguished emeritus professor of political science.

Rasmussen noted that the Board of Regents has evaluated Jischke’s performance, but he doesn’t think the regents are looking at the right issues.

Rasmussen said he hopes people support the petition, but he understands their reservations. “I’d like to urge people to join,” he said, “but I have to recognize they may get their heads chopped off.”

Mize said the supporters of the petition may consider presenting it to the Faculty Senate. However, some members of the Faculty Senate expressed mixed feelings about the petition.

David Hopper, president-elect of the Faculty Senate, said the petition doesn’t make a good case for a review of Jischke.

“I think that the object of the petition is to create change,” said Hopper, professor of veterinary medicine. “It would be far [more] advanced to use the Faculty Senate to create a dialogue with the administration.”

Greg Miller, Faculty Senate member, said he is unsure about the petition.

“I don’t want to downplay their ideas, but I have a feeling they won’t go anywhere,” said Miller, associate professor of agricultural education and studies. “They may get a few signatures, but I doubt the Faculty Senate will address it.”

Charlie Martinson, Faculty Senate member, said he hasn’t decided where he stands.

“I see a need for leadership and also see a little aggressiveness and lack of listening to the faculty by President Martin Jischke,” said Martinson, associate professor of plant pathology.

Hopper said the Faculty Senate will have to consider the petition carefully before taking action if it arises at the next meeting, which will be held March 7.

“I certainly support the right of faculty to express their opinion,” he said. “It is important to pay attention when criticism is raised, but also equally important to assess value of criticism before we consider taking action.”

The petition will circulate until Feb. 25.