Factors in student’s death still unknown

David Roepke

A week after an ISU student was killed by a train, police still have little idea about the circumstances surrounding the accident.

Dan Logeman, 22, senior in horticulture from Malvern, was hit by a westbound Union Pacific train Jan. 26 at about 8:20 p.m. near the North Dakota Avenue railroad crossing. Logeman’s body was found 500 feet west of the crossing.

He was airlifted to Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines, where he died the following morning.

Sgt. Randy Kessel, Ames Police public information officer, said the investigating officers interviewed roommates and friends several days following the accident, but no one provided any reason as to why Logeman was on the tracks.

Polk County Medical Examiner Michael Gross said an examination of Logeman’s body showed he died of “multiple fractures and internal injuries.”

Gross said preliminary reports revealed no traces of drugs or alcohol in Logeman’s bloodstream, although the final toxicology report is not yet complete.

Those who knew Logeman said he was a leader in the classroom and an outgoing, caring friend to many.

“He was a good student who was very active in club activities,” said Logeman’s academic adviser Nick Christians, professor of horticulture. “Dan got along well with everyone. I always saw him joking with everybody in the halls.”

Christians said Logeman had been awarded a scholarship by the horticulture department at the Turf Conference in Des Moines on Jan. 25, a day before the accident.

Logeman, who was also a member of the Turf Club, was a likable person, said Matt DeDoncker, Turf Club president.

“He was a great guy, very fun, very charming and always laughing,” said DeDoncker, junior in horticulture. “He always cared about people and was trying to help them out in anyway. He was always there for you if you needed it.”