Student Security still serves

Valerie Dennis

Despite reduced hours for this year’s Student Security crew, Department of Residence officials said the program is running smoothly.

“Student Security feels the current way is working well; I haven’t heard of any necessary changes to the program,” said Director of Residence Randy Alexander.

The hours of Student Security were changed last semester from eight-hour shifts to four-hour shifts. The current work schedule for Student Security is 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. on weekdays and 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. on weekends.

Director of Residence Randy Alexander said the number of overall incidents reported is down.

“Our goal this year for Student Security was to provide quality service, and we have met that goal,” Alexander said. “There has been no increase in problems reported whatsoever.”

Some changes did occur when hours for Student Security were changed, Alexander said. Because of the decrease in hours, students save around $700 per week due to the changes in staffing.

“The money saved goes for other operational needs,” Alexander said. “We are able to improve the residence halls without raising fees as much.”

Hours were cut depending on when Student Security was most needed, said Sally Deters, coordinator of residence life.

“We determine the hours with the most activity happening and continue those,” Deters said. “We haven’t determined a time Student Security was needed that they weren’t working. From a safety and security issue, there is no need to change the current hours.”

Jonathan Schreyer, Student Security officer, said the new hours are working, but he is concerned about what happens when officers aren’t around.

“I don’t know what’s going on when we aren’t on duty, and I have heard that [the Department of Public Safety] feels the load when we aren’t working,” said Schreyer, junior in mechanical engineering.

Libby Bleil, resident assistant of Hewitt House in Wilson Hall, has noticed a difference without Student Security officers on-duty as much.

“I don’t think Student Security should have had reduced hours; they are a very useful back-up when I need to confront students because students aren’t as disrespectful when they see Student Security,” said Bleil, sophomore in psychology.

Bleil said she had to find someone else to assist her in one situation when Student Security wasn’t available.

“Student Security is very helpful, and there is a need for them,” Bleil said.

Schreyer said the job of a Student Security officer is to represent the staff that is available to help students at any time.

“In any case there are always DPS and RAs available, but the response time is slower when Student Security isn’t working,” he said.

However, Deters said Student Security will stay on its current course.

“From what we have assessed so far in the program, there is no need to change. Everything is going OK, so we won’t change it in the future,” Deters said.