Topel steps down from ag dean post

Andrea Hauser

The boxes are packed in Room 138 of Curtiss Hall as David Topel prepares to leave the office. Topel is resigning from the position he has held since 1988, and today, his last day as ISU dean of agriculture, promises to be an active one.

“I’m going to straighten out my new office,” he said. “It may take more than one day, though; [it] may take two days.”

As Topel moves into his new office in the Meat Science Lab of Kildee Hall, he is also preparing for the change in his role at Iowa State.

He said his new work will involve developing special workshops, conducting research and writing a book on the growth and development of animals. He will be back in the classroom next fall.

“I feel like it’s a wonderful opportunity,” Topel said. “I’ll have the chance to do a lot of new things.”

Topel said he is also looking forward to continuing his work in international agriculture.

“At this time, we need to have a very large foundation in international agriculture,” he said. “I’ll have an opportunity to do that, to develop international concepts into research and teaching programs.”

Topel said he decided to leave because of a new five-year plan the college is developing right now.

“I’m not going to be around for another five years,” he said. “The new administration should have a say in the plans.”

Although he is looking forward to the possibilities his new job offers, Topel said he also feels close to the people he has met and satisfied with the growth he has seen since becoming the dean of the College of Agriculture.

“The interaction with people in Iowa, faculty and students — that’s the most rewarding part of it,” he said. “Many people contributed a huge amount of support.”

Topel said since 1988, the College of Agriculture has increased in enrollment by more than 1,000 students, especially among women, and has begun to attract a large number of students without any previous agricultural background.

“The quality of students went up, too,” Topel said, adding that when he talks to people in the agricultural industry, “they say that students at ISU are the strongest students that they hire.”

Richard Ross, dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine, will act as interim dean for the College of Agriculture after Topel leaves. Ross said while he is sure the College of Agriculture still will “be in good shape,” he will miss working with Topel.

“He’s been a wonderful mentor for me,” Ross said. “He’s been giving me a lot of pointers along the way.”

Topel said he’s confident Ross will handle the responsibilities of both colleges well.

“He’s a great person, an established administrator,” he said. “It’ll be easy for him.”