Busy political weekend ahead

Brooke Langlitz

The eyes of the nation will be focusing on Iowa this weekend in preparation for Monday’s caucuses.

Presidential candidates from both major parties will engage in a final flurry of campaigning, with a number of candidates set to speak on the ISU campus during the weekend and on Monday.

Vice President Al Gore is scheduled to speak in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union tonight at 7:30.

Andy Tofilon, member of Cyclones for Gore, said the vice president, who still holds a substantial lead over his sole opponent, former New Jersey Sen. Bill Bradley, will discuss issues that concern ISU students.

Tofilon, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication, said recent visits to Iowa State by Gore supporters Billy Baldwin and James Carville have “stimulated a lot of interest in the caucus and Al Gore.”

Republican candidate Steve Forbes is slated to appear Sunday at 1 p.m. in the Scheman Building’s Room 220 for a town meeting, said a spokesman for the Forbes campaign.

The town-meeting format will offer an opportunity for community members to pose questions for the billionaire publisher.

Two candidates plan to wait until caucus day to campaign in Ames. Republican front-runner Texas Gov. George W. Bush and Bradley both plan to visit campus on the day of the caucus to make one last appeal for students’ votes.

Bush’s appearance Monday at 11:45 a.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union hopes to “emphasize the importance of participating in the caucus,” said Eric Woolson, Iowa press coordinator for the Bush campaign.

“[Bush] has struck a responsive chord with a lot of voters,” Woolson said.

Bradley, scheduled to speak on campus Monday at noon, wants to encourage students to attend the caucus on his behalf, said Jim Farrell, communications director for the Bradley campaign.

Bradley’s message is to restore trust and faith in younger voters, Farrell said. “He wants students in Iowa to know they can make a difference,” he said.

Noticeably absent will be GOP candidate Arizona Sen. John McCain, who chose not to participate actively in the Iowa caucuses.

“He would like support of Iowa voters but doesn’t expect it,” a McCain spokesperson said.