This place is screwier than Iowa State … it really is

Chris Crouch

There are few things in life so exciting as a discussion that compares and contrasts American and English higher education. You’re in for a real treat this week, as that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

Having completed my first semester at an English university on Friday, I think this would be a good opportunity to look back on what differences I’ve noticed between the English and American educational institutions I’ve attended.

Iowa State: Lecture halls with capacities in the hundreds filled with maybe a dozen students after the first week of classes.

Exeter: Smaller lecture halls but almost always full.

I’m taking a sociology class that runs from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Fridays. On the first day, the professor said, “I know this isn’t the most convenient time for a class, so I’m going to make attendance optional. In fact, if you’ve got something you’d rather be doing, you’re welcome to leave now.”

No one left. He went on to tell us how our not leaving was an example of conforming to our social roles or something. “I wouldn’t give that option to students from America,” he said. “Most of them would take me up on that offer.”

I have to admit, I was tempted. I wanted to explore the city before it got dark. I was looking for someone else contemplating a run for it, hoping to make eye contact so we could gain a little courage from each other.

But no, everyone was busy scrawling down every word the instructor said. Damn. I settled back in my seat and started playing tic-tac-toe with myself again.

Iowa State: Service with a smile.

Exeter: Service.

I think this stems from the fact that until recently, higher education in England was funded almost entirely through the government.

It feels like there’s more bureaucracy behind the workings of the university here than at home. I know it sounds impossible, but I think it’s true.

Maybe it’s just my individual experiences, but every time I’ve needed to have anything done at Iowa State, it’s always been straight forward and easy to get people to help.

That hasn’t always been the case here. It’s not that people are mean; I’m sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I’m just not used to the way things work.

Last week, for example, I was attempting to drop a class and pick up another. These were in two separate departments and neither of the two gentlemen responsible for approving it would sign the transfer sheet before the other.

After several trips between the two offices, I convinced one of them to write a note to the other saying essentially, “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours.”

When I finally got it all taken care of, the guy from the politics department asked me if I thought all this running about was crazy. I told him no, despite my true feelings.

Iowa State: University-wide prohibition imposed for one weekend every spring.

Exeter: Free booze. University sponsored pub crawls.

I went to a meeting for all first year students during the first part of the year. The dean of students or someone of that nature was presiding. “Before we begin,” he said, “we’ll all have a glass of wine.”

Some people in chef’s costumes rolled out carts full of a few hundred servings of wine. “They don’t do this at home,” I told the guy next to me. I don’t drink, so I gave him mine.

On a similar note, I must refute the claim that many people said before I left home. I was told on many occasions that drinking in the United Kingdom was more of a “social” thing among young people than a “get sloshed and piss in the street” thing.

According to my observations, this is untrue. I’ve seen at least as many people relieving themselves in public areas here as I have seen in Ames, not to mention leaving their half digested dinners on the sidewalk for the pigeons to eat the next morning.

Perhaps you shouldn’t have read that last part if you’re eating lunch.

I haven’t had any great adventures to report on this week. I’ve discovered “Age of Empires II,” and being the nerd I am, I have wasted a good portion of my spare time on it.

Admittedly, that’s not a good way to spend my time halfway around the world, thus I’ve removed it from my hard drive. I’m hopefully going to get up to London this week to meet a friend I haven’t seen since high school. That should be exciting.

Chris Crouch is a sophomore in political science from Rapid City, Ill.