Stars Over Veishea auditions begin tonight

Valerie Dennis

ISU students and Ames residents can display their singing and acting talents to vie for a role in this year’s Stars Over Veishea.

Auditions for the musical “Into the Woods,” this year’s Stars Over Veishea show, will begin tonight.

Auditions will be from 7 to 10 both tonight and Tuesday night in Room 117 of MacKay Hall. Those auditioning should prepare 16 to 32 bars of music in the correct key that show the range of the singer, said Heather Kliebenstein, producer for the musical.

“Any musical theater material is appropriate,” said Kliebenstein, senior in environmental science. “This isn’t a heavy-dance show, but one should dress for movement in the audition.”

All ages are invited to audition — not just ISU students, but also people from the Ames community or surrounding areas, said Lindsay Plagman, public relations account director for Stars Over Veishea and sophomore in pre-business.

Eve Himmelheber, director of the musical, also said she doesn’t want people to be discouraged because of possible conflicts.

“When those auditioning give us their schedule of conflicts at auditions, I will note those conflicts and work around them,” said Himmelheber, assistant professor of music. “So, for example, if someone wants to audition but doesn’t think their Wednesday night class will allow them to participate, I urge them to reconsider. We want the best cast we can get.”

“Into the Woods,” written by Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine, is about a baker and his wife who are in search of a red cape, golden slippers, golden hair and a white cow. These items will allow them to lift a curse from their house that keeps them from bearing children. The musical depicts the adventures they encounter.

Himmelheber said the musical will be fun for the cast, crew and audience.

“The characters are big and bold, the humor is wickedly wry, but the human vulnerability and the lessons to be learned from it are extremely poignant,” she said. “These characters are ‘people’ who will stay with the audiences long after they leave the theater.”

Tickets will be available beginning March 1 at the Iowa State Center Ticket Office. Prices for adults are $15, $13 and $10; prices for people 18 years old and under and ISU students are $10, $8 and $6.

“Into the Woods” will play at Stephens Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, April 14 and Saturday, April 15 and at 2 p.m. on Sunday, April 16.