New housing complex to combine apartments, dorms

Wendy Weiskircher

The Ames housing scene may change dramatically in the near future.

Students who wish to live off campus will soon have another option, with the construction of a new resort-style apartment complex. Sterling University Housing, a Houston-based company, plans to build a private student-housing complex in Ames.

Apartments in the complex, expected to open by fall 2001, would have up to four bedrooms and bathrooms each, and students could enjoy a variety of up-scale perks. The complex would be equipped with luxuries such as a pool, hot tubs, a sand volleyball court and a fitness center. The apartments would have kitchens, washers, dryers and maintenance crews on-call.

Community assistants, comparable to the resident assistants in the residence halls, would live in the buildings to assist students, and a clubhouse for study breaks would be available to residents.

Penny Rosenthal, director of Off-Campus and Adult Student Services for Iowa State, said she was impressed by the Sterling facilities at Texas A&M University.

“They’re just incredible,” she said. “They have incredible activities, concerts and fun competitions for the students.”

Rosenthal said the camaraderie of dorm life is not lost in the private apartments, as the additional staff and facilities allow students to stay active.

“There’s really a community feeling,” she said. “There is a programming staff to keep students involved.”

The construction of this complex, which would house more than 500 students, coincides with the construction of Hawthorn Court, an on-campus housing alternative for ISU students.

However, the new complex does not faze the ISU Department of Residence.

“I think it is good for students to have options,” said Randy Alexander, director of residence. “From what I have read, it sounds nice.”

Alexander does not expect the Sterling complex to pose a threat to the on-campus numbers.

“The majority of students in the residence halls are younger students,” he said. “They come in as freshmen and stay a year or two. If we do a good job in those first years, we’ll stay full. I don’t think the impact will be as much on us as on off-campus landlords.”

Ames landlord Gary Hunziker of Hunziker Property Management, 105 S. 16th St., anticipates some impact, although he said it may be limited.

“Anytime someone brings 500 units into a market all at once, it makes you sit back and think,” he said. “It will affect everyone somewhat.”

However, property quality will continue to attract students to more traditional off-campus housing options, Hunziker predicted.

“We’ve been pretty proactive the whole time, and I think we’ll stay competitive,” he said. “Others who have not kept up their properties will have the first vacancies, and I don’t think we’re in that position.”

Rent for the Sterling complex is expected to be comparatively low, Rosenthal said.

“The leases will be very attractive for this community,” she said. “It’s going to be really good, healthy competition for off-campus housing.”

Hawthorn Court, which will have 720 openings in its debut next fall, will offer many of the same benefits the Sterling complex boasts, including a convenience store, caf‚ and a fitness center, Alexander said. He also said Hawthorn Court’s on-campus location makes it attractive to students.

So far, the prospect of the Sterling complex has not dampened interest in Hawthorn Court. Applications were being accepted Monday, and Alexander said about 100 applications were received the first day.

“We’re excited about Hawthorn Court opening,” Alexander said. “There seems to be a lot of interest, and I was surprised that a lot of the applications so far have been from people living off campus who want to move back on campus.”