Campus art covered to remember AIDS day

Heidi Jolivette

Iowa State will observe the national Day Without Art today by shrouding five artworks on central campus, holding an informative walk and hosting a speaker to discuss AIDS issues.

Matthew DeLay, educational curator for University Museums, said the Day Without Art is meant to commemorate the loss of a loved one and more specifically recognize and remember artists who have been affected by AIDS.

This year’s theme, “Children and Young People: Listen, Learn, Live,” is directed toward a younger audience.

“This is a day to think about the disease around the world,” said DeLay, who is concerned not only about youth in the United States receiving the AIDS awareness message, but also youth in developing countries.

The five sculptures to be covered are: “Forward” and “Left-Sided Angel” near the Parks Library; “Fountain of Four Seasons” north of the Memorial Union; “Stride” at the Lied Recreation Center; and “Forbidden Fruit” in the Molecular Science Building.

The artwork chosen to be covered this year has been shrouded in the past during Day Without Art. They were covered early this morning and will be uncovered late tonight.

One of the pieces of art, the “Fountain of Four Seasons” by Christian Peterson, was chosen because it describes a metaphor for life, which is cut short by the AIDS virus, DeLay said.

DeLay will begin a walking tour of the artwork at noon at the Campanile. Tour participants will have the opportunity to discuss further the shrouded artworks.

To wrap up the day, a program will be held at the Brunnier Gallery in the Scheman Building at 7 p.m. and will feature a guest speaker, Tim, to share his experiences and opinions concerning the HIV and AIDS epidemic. Tim has lived with HIV for eight years and will be open to questions and discussion.

Jodi Trout, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production, worked with Kathy Highland, a Parks Library assistant, in finding a speaker for the program.

“It was hard finding a speaker because it’s a delicate topic,” said Trout, a Margaret Davidson Education Intern. “I’m looking forward to the speaker and hope students will come and get something out of it.”

Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums, DeLay and the Textiles and Clothing 257 class taught by Sara Kadolph, associate professor of textiles and clothing, will help cover the artwork.

All Day Without Art activities are free and open to the public.