ISU utilities are prepared, but officials stay cautious

Wendy Weiskircher

Editor’s note: This is the third article in a five-part series on Y2K preparations at Iowa State. Today’s story examines the compliance level of university utilities and services.

As the world counts down the final seconds of 1999, many people will be at work to ensure Iowa State makes a smooth and secure transition into the new year.

Although thorough testing of campus utilities has revealed no problems with university systems, measures have been taken to attempt to eliminate the risk of Y2K problems. University personnel have developed many precautions, which will go into effect for the turnover from 1999 to the year 2000.

“We’ve been through an absolutely elaborate process,” said ISU President Martin Jischke. “We’ve got emergency procedures put in place.”

More than 50 representatives from university facility and utility services, assisted by the Department of Public Safety, will be patrolling campus buildings before and after midnight during the New Year holiday, said Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS.

Although no problems are expected, the aim of the patrol is to detect any that may occur.

“The primary responsibility for DPS is to assist the building patrol to ensure that utilities and other facility-related systems are working properly,” Stewart said.

In addition to the campus building patrol, DPS representatives will assist university personnel, who will be on hand at the temporary Y2K Command Center in the Armory. The center will be manned for at least 24 hours, starting at noon Dec. 31.

“The Command Center will be staffed with representatives from the facilities group, telecommunications and security,” said Jeff Witt, assistant director of utilities.

The representatives at the Command Center will be in communication with their satellite operations, ensuring the best possible protection of the university systems, Stewart said.

Despite the intense preparations for dealing with any transitional problems, extensive testing has eliminated most concern. Preparations and testing for the power plant and building systems have been underway for about 18 months, Witt said.

“No one is overly concerned,” he said. “We feel we’re well-prepared, but there is always the unknown. All systems have been checked, and we haven’t found any problems.”

All power plant systems have been checked, upgraded and tested without incident, Witt said. The plant supplies electricity, heat and air conditioning for the university.

Most of the power plant equipment predates computer control, Witt said, so that equipment will not be affected by any Y2K computer problems.

“Our plan is to leave one of the [computer-controlled] boilers running,” he said. “If there is a problem on the electrical grid, we still have the capacity to supply all electricity for the university.”

The university’s water supply comes from the city of Ames system, which has undergone similar testing and upgrades, Witt said.

“They have older equipment as well,” he said. “We’re not too concerned about any problems.”

Although the phone system cannot be shut down for on-site testing, telecommunications officials have high confidence that the university phone system will operate normally, according to “Y2K Q and A,” developed for students by University Relations.

However, Lucent Bell Laboratories, ISU’s telecommunication system provider, has performed extensive testing, and its system meets federal and international standards for Y2K compliance, according to “Y2K Q and A.”

Security isn’t expected to be an issue, Stewart said. But DPS isn’t taking any chances, either.

“I don’t anticipate any security problems,” he said. “We will be coordinating with Story County and State of Iowa law enforcement.”

Jischke said the university will have extra money on hand in case something should go wrong with the financial aid office.

A special Y2K hotline has been established to deal with public concerns about campus security or facility issues during New Year’s. The hotline has been in operation since Dec. 1, and it will be available until the end of January. Anyone may call the hotline at 296-2000.