Over 300 employers to attend engineering career fair Tuesday

Cole Schlup, then-sophomore in agricultural engineering, speaks with a FarmTek employee about a possible internship with the company at the engineering career fair on Sept. 18, 2018.

Sebastian Krembuszweski

Over 300 employers will be attending the spring engineering career fair Tuesday.

The career fair will be held at Hilton Coliseum and the Scheman Building from noon to 5 p.m. and is open to all students.

The fair consists of hundreds of companies looking to hire students for internships and future jobs after they graduate.

According to the Iowa State engineering career fair information page, some of the employers in attendance include Altec, HR Green, Innovative Software Engineering, Pella Corporation and Renewable Energy Group.

Hayden Lohse, a senior in construction engineering and co-director of the event, will be involved with his second career fair this year.

“It’s really important to jump start your professional network early,” Lohse said. “The best way to do that is by going to this event with well over 500 employers in the fall and 300 in the spring who are all there for the students and it’s hard to find an event like that.”

Hayden also said it’s important for students to prepare early, which includes researching companies and understanding the different kinds of industries that students want to work for in the future.

Kellie Mullaney, manager of the career fair, has been involved with the event for the past six years and said she expects this upcoming fair to be one of the largest fairs Iowa State has had.

“Every year since I’ve been here we’ve basically had our largest career fair,” Mullaney said. “And this year will be our largest spring fair, right now we are up to 365 companies that will be here.”

Mullaney said since she first began her involvement with the career fair, the amount of companies in attendance has grown by almost 100 over the past six years.

Mullaney also said they expect around 3,500 to 4000 students to be in attendance at the spring career fair.

“Just going to the career fair and experiencing it, getting to know what the environment is like and how many people are there is the biggest thing I recommend for students” Mullaney said.