Four members of the football team arrested

David Roepke

Four Iowa State football players were arrested last week in two separate incidents, according to local law enforcement officers.

Wide receiver Reggie Moorer and running back Ron Veal were arrested early morning Wednesday on drug-related charges, said Loras Jaeger, director of the Department of Public Safety.

According to DPS records, officers stopped a vehicle driven by Veal, freshman in psychology, at about 1:17 a.m. Wednesday after Veal was observed driving the wrong way on the one-way portion of Union Drive in front of the Memorial Union.

Jaeger said after making the stop, DPS officers smelled a strong odor coming from Veal’s vehicle that they identified as marijuana. Officers also said Veal appeared to be disoriented.

Although Veal refused to submit to a sobriety test, Jaeger said DPS officers determined Veal was under the influence of marijuana and charged him with operating under the influence of marijuana, prohibited acts and driving the wrong way on a one-way street.

As officers were interrogating Veal, Jaeger said Moorer, senior in sociology, attempted to flee the scene toward campus.

DPS student officers identified Moorer on campus, and after they radioed his location to DPS officers, he was arrested near Davidson Hall. Jaeger said Moorer attempted to discard a bag of what appeared to be marijuana near Davidson before he was arrested. The substance in the baggie was later positively identified as marijuana, Jaeger said.

DPS records show Moorer was charged with possession of marijuana and interference with official acts.

According to Ames Police records, linebacker Matt Word, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, and running back Michael Wagner, Jr., freshman in liberal arts and sciences, were both cited Nov. 29 for fifth-degree theft. They are accused of shoplifting five compact discs worth nearly $70 from Target, 320 S. Duff Ave.

None of the four players saw much significant playing time last season with the Cyclones.

In a prepared statement, ISU football head coach Dan McCarney said disciplinary action will be taken against all four players. The student athlete conduct code does not require the suspension of any of the players because none of the charges were felonies.

“I am deeply disappointed in the conduct of these young men,” McCarney said. “Each student will be disciplined and have their individual situations addressed in a manner consistent with team rules and Athletic Department policy.”