Candlelight vigil to honor student planned by floor residents

Carrie Tett

The residents of Richey House in Helser Hall are holding a candlelight vigil tonight in remembrance of friend and fellow resident Jason Jeffries, who died Monday afternoon from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Jeffries, junior in pre-architecture from Lisbon, was found Monday morning on the steps of the Old Capital Building on the University of Iowa campus in Iowa City and died later that day at the U of I Hospitals and Clinics.

Robert Rock, president of Richey House, said the candlelight vigil is being held to show the floor’s support for Jeffries’ loved ones.

The vigil will begin at 10 p.m. at Clyde Williams Field on the south side of State Gym.

“We decided we were going to have it so anyone who would like to participate can kind of pay their respects to a member of our house that died earlier this week,” said Rock, sophomore in pre-landscape architecture.

Rock said everybody on the floor is taking Jeffries’ death very hard.

“He was a member of our house, and our whole house is like family, so we’ve lost a member of our family,” he said.

“He was a great person, and he was very athletic as well as a good student,” Rock said. “He was a good person to have known.”

Anyone who would like to participate can pay respects to Jeffries at the vigil, he said.

“We’re just going to leave it open for anyone who would like to say anything,” he said. “Our thoughts and our prayers are going out to his family and his friends.”

Floor members haven’t yet planned anything else to help students cope with the death, Rock said.

“It’s … been kind of hectic,” he said. “It … came upon us kind of quickly.”

The visitation for Jeffries will be held today from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Brosh Funeral Home in Solon, and the funeral will be held Friday at 10:30 a.m. at the Solon United Methodist Church.