Three charged with defacing buildings

Kati Jividen

Three men were arrested and accused of vandalizing several buildings and objects on central campus early Saturday morning, Department of Public Safety officials said Monday.

Jared Patrick Roddy, 19, and Jeffrey Allan McDermott, 19, both of 2121 Sunset Drive, and Trevor Michael Jensen, 19, White Bear Lake, Minn., were charged with spray painting a symbol on several areas on campus that looked like “half of an infinity symbol with small lines attached,” said Jerry Stewart, associate director of the Department of Public Safety.

Stewart said the men are accused of causing more than $500 worth of damage.

The graffiti was found on four walls and doorways of Beardshear Hall, a wall and door of Curtiss Hall, the north wall of Carver Hall, the base of a statue outside Carver Hall, a white sign belonging to the Sloss House and a tree on central campus, Stewart said.

Roddy, undeclared freshman, was charged with third-degree criminal mischief, criminal trespass and harassment of a public official after he gave false information pertaining to his birth date and name.

Jensen was charged with third-degree criminal mischief and criminal trespass, and McDermott, freshman in mechanical engineering, was charged with third-degree criminal mischief because he had left the scene before officers arrived, Stewart said.

All three individuals were transported to jail after being apprehended.

Stewart said after a student officer notified DPS of two individuals “acting in a suspicious manner,” the men were seized by DPS officers.

“While [officers] were en route, the student officer observed the two individuals climbing on a second-floor ledge on the outside of Beardshear Hall,” he said.

When officers arrived at the scene, Stewart said, they found Roddy and Jensen in possession of red and gold spray paint that matched the graffiti sprayed on Beardshear Hall. One of the individuals also had spray paint on his hands.

According to a press release from Delta Tau Delta fraternity, where Roddy and McDermott live, the spray paint was taken from their house, but the members do not condone the behavior.

“Our Honor Board has met and are bringing a motion for expulsion from the chapter,” said Adam Batcheller, Delta Tau Delta president. “The chapter will vote to see what the appropriate actions against the men will be.”

Batcheller, junior in chemical engineering, said the two men are still living in the fraternity house.

“I felt the two men had positive futures with the fraternity and Iowa State University,” he said. “They chose to make a decision that was detrimental to their membership with our fraternity.”

Stewart said the charges against the men may be increased if the cost of the damages is higher.

“We anticipate the aggravated misdemeanor charge will be amended to a felony upon the receipt of updated damage estimates,” Stewart said. “The ballpark estimate is greater than $500, but it will be more realistically several thousands of dollars of damage.”