Board of Regents to discuss ISU planning

Andrea Hauser

Iowa State’s goal of “becoming the best” will be reviewed this week at the Board of Regents, State of Iowa meeting today and Thursday.

The board will be conducting a preliminary review of Iowa’s three public universities’ strategic plans during the meeting at ISU.

Matt Craft, Government of the Student Body president, said the strategic plan acts as a guideline for what each of the universities want to achieve during the next five years.

“Iowa State’s goal is to become the best land-grant university in the nation,” Craft said. “The strategic plan is pretty much their plans and their goals to achieve that.”

ISU’s strategic plan includes goals such as strengthening the undergraduate program, establishing international leadership in information technology and computation services and stimulating economic development.

The plan also includes information about changes in areas such as technology use and student enrollment at the university.

Craft said since it is only a preliminary review of the strategic plans, he does not expect there to be very much debate among the regents.

“We’re not addressing any specific issues,” he said.

Regent Clarkson L. Kelly also said he isn’t expecting much discussion during the preliminary review of the plans.

“From what I see from the plans, I don’t think there will be any serious objections from the regents,” he said.

Kelly said any questions the regents have about the plans probably will be because they are unclear about the information.

“When we question sharply, it doesn’t mean we disagree,” he said. “It means we don’t fully understand.”

The Board of Regents also will review a report on student retention and graduation rates at the three universities, as well as fall enrollment information.