Student mugged at gunpoint

Kati Jividen

An Iowa State student was mugged at gunpoint in Lot 60 early Tuesday morning, Department of Public Safety officials said.

Loras Jaeger, director of DPS, said the 23-year-old male student, whose name has not been released, was parking his car about 2:15 a.m. when he was confronted by a man displaying what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun.

“The student was robbed of cash, credit cards and some other undisclosed items,” he said. “He was assaulted and received bruises and lacerations. He was treated [and released] by Mary Greeley Medical personnel.”

According to a DPS press release, the cuts and bruises occurred as a result of being kicked and beaten.

Following the assault, the ISU student left the scene and immediately called DPS for assistance.

“He did see at least one person involved in the incident,” Jaeger said. “We believe there may be more individuals involved because there were other people in the area.”

The student described the suspect as a 5-foot-7-inch black male in his early 20s, with a light complexion and mustache. At the time of the incident, he was wearing a black leather jacket, a black woolen hat and black gloves.

“We are working with the Ames Police Department to see if there is any connection between this robbery and others in the Campustown area,” Jaeger said.

Another robbery occurred Sunday, Oct. 3 at 2:30 a.m., when a 19-year-old ISU student was mugged at gunpoint in the 100 block of Welch Avenue.

The four suspects were described as black men ranging in height between 5 foot 9 inches and 6 feet tall. One suspect wore a blue jacket, while the second suspect wore a hooded, maroon sweatshirt. The other two suspects wore gray sweatshirts.

“We don’t know if the two are connected; we are certainly looking at the possibilities,” said Randy Kessel, public information officer for the Ames Police Department. “The investigation still continues on that [Welch Avenue incident].”

Anyone who has information regarding this incident should contact DPS at 294-4428.