Campus officials brace for possible vandalism

Heidi Jolivette

Possible protests and vandalism to seed companies and research institutions involved in agricultural biotechnology may threaten Iowa State today.

The “National Day of Action,” proposed by groups against genetic modification of seeds, is set for today, according to a notice posted on the Internet early this month.

Signed by “Johnny Appleseed” of California, the notice calls for protesters to take a stand against biotech research by hitting them “where they are the weakest and where your impact will be most felt.”

It also encourages the destruction of “crops, equipment, buildings and vehicles” tonight.

“I am not aware of any specific mention of ISU by any of these individuals or groups,” said John McCarroll, director of University Relations. “Most of this has been e-mail and Internet activity.”

McCarroll cannot confirm any threats, but he said university officials are taking the situation seriously. “The Department of Public Safety is aware and will take the appropriate steps,” he said.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS, said DPS officials have taken measures to promote public safety and protect potential target areas of criminal mischief.

“We’re treating it seriously. We’re increasing patrol staffing levels [this week] and are communicating with personnel from agricultural-related areas,” Stewart said.

“We’re most concerned about the nighttime hours,” said Loras Jaeger, director of DPS. However, Jaeger said he is not suggesting that students avoid potentially targeted buildings and facilities; they should go about their daily routines.

Walt Fehr, director of agronomy and head of biotech-based agricultural research at ISU, also is on the lookout for suspicious activity.

“If I see strange people out in front of my lab, I’ll go talk to them,” he said, “whereas I might have normally ignored them.”

Fehr’s biggest concern is that the physical damage to biotech research would be a huge set-back to students trying to earn their degrees in biotech fields and also to universities and companies everywhere.

Agricultural biotechnology involves genetically engineering crops to increase their yield and resistance to certain diseases, said Tara Barrett, freshman in plant and health protection. With the genetic alterations come objections and opposition from the public.

“I think it’s an indication that we need to better educate the public about what dangers exist and which don’t,” said Kristi Harkins, associate scientist of biochemistry and biophysics-agriculture.

Since the biotech program was started in 1986, concerns have been expressed by the public. One of Fehr’s goals is to make people feel more comfortable and welcome to express their opinions about biotechnology in an open atmosphere instead of through violent acts.

“I want to continue to have dialogue with people with concerns in an open platform to express views,” Fehr said. “People have come to me with concerns, and I have discussed the concerns with them.”

Some concerns raised by agricultural biotechnology, Fehr said, include the safety of genetically altered food, the potential of environmental hazards and the concerns of religious organizations involving DNA transplantation.

Some students are aware of the possibility of protests and violence. Barrett heard about the situation in an e-mail presented to her orientation class.

“I don’t think anything is accomplished by destroying research,” Barrett said. “I don’t know if anything is going to happen. I hope that if it does, it’s nothing serious.”