Arrest made in MU bomb threat

David Roepke

An Iowa State student was charged with threatening to plant a bomb at the Memorial Union last week.

Nicolaos C. Nicolaou, junior in history, was arrested Oct. 20 at the Armory Building after he e-mailed an ISU professor on Oct. 18 to warn him of a planned bombing at an upcoming cultural event last week at the MU, said Jerry Stewart, associate director of the Department of Public Safety.

The cultural event Nicolaou referred to in his message and the name of the professor he sent it to have not been released, but Stewart said the event already has passed and no explosive device was found.

After his arrest, Nicolaou was transported to the Story County Jail. According to court documents, Nicolaou admitted to the charges at his initial court appearance on Oct. 21 and was released after posting 0 percent of $10,000 bond until his preliminary hearing on Nov. 8.

He has been charged with false report of an arson, a class D felony that could yield a prison sentence up to five years and a fine of up to $7,500.

Court documents show that Nicolaou, 22, 121 Howard Ave. #204, sent an e-mail titled “Bomb Attack” at about 5:44 p.m. to the professor, warning him of the supposed attack because he didn’t want “innocent people hurt.” He also urged the professor to tell anyone he saw fit, including police.

Stewart said DPS was informed of the bomb threat by a third party, not the professor who received the e-mail.

DPS officials said the message was sent from Nicolaou’s computer account at a terminal in 139 Durham Center and that surveillance video captured him in the act of sending the message.

Stewart said there was no connection between this case and the reported bomb threats on ISU’s biotechnology center.