Agriculture Business Club gets national recognition

Gabe Davis

Continuing its blue-ribbon reputation, the Iowa State Agriculture Business Club won the award for the most outstanding student-run agriculture organization in the nation for the second year in a row.

Ron Deiter, adviser to the club and professor in agricultural economics, said there are many activities that the American Agricultural Economics Association takes into consideration before presenting the award.

Some of these criteria for the award include educational activities, service projects, recruitment, fundraising and social events.

The club has five major objectives that it strives for every year, Deiter said.

The members educate students about career-related opportunities available to them, provide leadership opportunities, recognize the accomplishments of its members, introduce students to others in the field and increase the interaction between students and faculty.

“I enjoy the opportunity to meet other agriculture business students and to work with them outside of the class setting,” said Erik Heggen, secretary of the club and senior in agricultural business.

“It gives me a chance to really get to know who the people are,” he said.

Vice President Cory Cannon said being involved with the club is a great social experience.

“I like to do stuff with lots of different people, and I like to have a lot of fun,” said Cannon, senior in agricultural business.

“Being in this club gives me a chance to do both,” he said “And being vice president allows me to help lead the club in a direction so that the club will continue to be fun down the road.”

The club hosts many social events, such as tailgates, bowling parties, pizza parties and picnics.

One of the bigger events the club holds is the annual agricultural career day, where agricultural businesses from across the nation come to ISU, set up booths and offer applications and interviews to interested students.

Last year’s career day brought about 140 businesses to visit the university.

The club is open to anyone, regardless of his or her major. There is a membership fee of $10 a semester or $15 for the year. For more information, call 294-5436.