Takeaways: Kansas cruises past Iowa State on day two

Senior Sydney Ronald dives into Beyer Pool on Jan. 18. The Iowa State women’s Swimming and Diving team won against Illinois State University with 191-100. 

Nick Flores

Iowa State had their four-meet win streak cut short as the Kansas Jayhawks (7-1, 2-0 Big 12) topped the Cyclones 201-93. The Cyclones move to 7-4 (2-1 Big 12) headed into the Big 12 Championships which kick off on Feb. 27.

Cyclones set new personal records

Three Cyclone divers, freshman Jessica Coffin, junior Dana Liva and sophomore Sydney Ronald recorded a new personal record (PR) in the 3-meter this weekend.

Ronald led the way for the Iowa State divers as she scored a 306.38 in the competition, earning second place. In addition to a new PR in the 3-meter, Ronald took third in the 1-meter as she scored a 254.63 on day one.

Liva finished with a score of 304.35, which saw her finish in third behind Ronald. Liva also placed second in the 1-meter with a score of 259.20. 

Freshman Jessica Coffin set her new PR in both events, 1-meter and 3-meter dive, taking fifth and sixth in the competitions. Coffin finished with a score of 199.13 in the 1-meter and 217.95 in the 3-meter.

The Cyclone divers’ performances have been exceptional as of late and despite losing to Kansas in this dual meet, the Cyclones will look to keep these performances going as they prepare for the Big 12 Championships. 

200 Fly

The highlight of the meet came from Freshman Lucia Rizzo as she won her third 200-fly event of the year which was the only Cyclone victory of the meet. 

Rizzo took the 200-fly with a final time of 2:03.67, as she salvaged some points back for the Cyclones in their blowout loss to Kansas. 

The Cyclones had momentum coming into this weekend, and although it did not go the way the team had wanted, all focus must now be directed toward the Big 12 Championships.