Today last day to drop classes without penalty

Valerie Dennis

Students planning to modify or revise their schedules better do so quickly.

Today is the last day for students to change their schedules without any penalty, said Laura Doering, associate registrar for records and registration.

“Aug. 23 through 27 is the add/drop period where students can change, rearrange, add or drop a class without paying the $5 processing fee,” Doering said. “Changes in one’s schedule can be made through AccessPlus on the Internet or by using Touch Tone Registration at 268-7180.”

Beginning Monday and lasting until Oct. 29, a student only can drop by obtaining a drop slip and a signature from his or her instructor or adviser. The slip then must be turned in to 10 Alumni Hall.

Students wanting to add or drop an audit course — a course in which no credit is received — also must get the correct signatures and turn it into the Registrar’s office.

“The last day to drop a course that runs the first half of the semester is by Friday, Sept. 24; the last day to drop second half of the semester course is Thursday, Nov. 18,” Doering said.

To drop half-semester classes, students must collect the necessary signatures and take them to the Registrar’s office. For courses with irregular dates, students must talk to the instructors or call the Registrar’s office at 294-2331.

Students who enter ISU as freshman may drop up to five classes during their undergraduate tenure; for veterinary medicine and transfer students, the number is four.

During the first week of the semester, drops aren’t counted on the drop limit. If a student drops a class during his or her first term at ISU, the drop does not count.