Faculty to be honored at reception

Nina Fox

Each year during Veishea, faculty and staff members at Iowa State are honored for their outstanding work, and students are recognized for their leadership achievement.

The Veishea Faculty and Staff Recognition will recognize one faculty member from each college. Two members overall will be selected and named Faculty and Staff Members of the Year.

“The purpose of the reception is just to honor those who have done outstanding work,” said Natalie Carver, Faculty and Staff Recognition coordinator.

The Faculty and Staff Recognition reception will be held Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Carver, junior in finance, said all 150 nominated faculty and staff members are invited to the recognition reception.

Students were able to nominate their favorite faculty or staff members by putting a ballot in one of the 10 boxes set around campus, she said.

“We received over 200 [nominations]. The students wrote who they were nominating and why they should be awarded,” Carver said.

ISU President Martin Jischke, Veishea Central Committee Co-Chairs Scott DeSotel and Aimee Lee and special guest speaker Liz Beck, coordinator of the University Honors Program, will speak at the reception.

“Liz Beck will speak about her past experiences with Veishea,” Carver said.

The Veishea Leadership Recognition reception will take place Sunday at 11 a.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

The Leadership Recognition reception honors students who have developed leadership skills within the university. More than 500 student organizations nominate an outstanding leader, while other awards are given by the university, Veishea Central Committee and the Alumni Association.

Ryan Christenson, Leadership Recognition coordinator, said 150 students have been nominated for the awards.

“The awards will be given out in several different areas of achievement including leadership and excellence,” he said.

Christenson, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill, Dean of Students Kathleen MacKay, Assistant Dean of Students Vernon Wall and other people will be speaking at the reception.

“The idea is to recognize the students with awards who have done an outstanding job,” he said.