Residence staff readies for Veishea company

Kati Jividen

Veishea weekend is just around the corner, and the Department of Residence is gearing up for visitors.

Similar to last year’s regulations, there will be no set limit to the number of guests a resident can register.

Ben Chamberlain, president of the Inter-Residence Hall Association, said not having a limit of guests is a “lot easier” on residents.

“Registering guests is a pretty common practice at many universities,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies. “It’s not a hassle to register them.”

Pre-registration begins Tuesday for all students living in the residence halls who will be expecting guests during the festivities, and it will continue throughout the weekend.

“All residence hall students will have to register their guests through the front hall desk or where they get their mail,” said Pete Englin, coordinator of residence life.

Upon registration, all visitors will receive a card with their name, their host’s name and the name of the residence hall they are staying in, as well as the room number where they will be staying.

“Students can register guests any time the hall desk is open, including the weekends,” said Mimi Benjamin, coordinator of residence life.

All visitors will be required to carry the registration card as well as picture identification with them at all times.

“[We also are] asking all residents to carry their fee cards and ISU Cards with them at all times to show that they are a resident,” Englin said.

Students who fail to show proper identification upon request will be asked to register or leave the building.

“[The request] will be based on [whether they] have any behavior that we are concerned about at the time,” Englin said. “We just like them to get registered.”

Benjamin said students may be asked to leave by residence hall staff or another student if they feel they don’t belong there.

In addition to registering visitors, all residence hall entrances will be locked from 7 p.m. Friday to 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

“They’re typically locked from 10:30 p.m. to 6 a.m.,” Englin said. “We are locking them a little earlier on Friday and keeping them locked all day Saturday.”

Benjamin said the doors are locked for the safety of the “folks” who live in the residence halls.

“By locking the doors, only those people who are invited into the halls will have access,” she said. “That provides a safer environment, especially when we have a lot of people in town who may not know where they need to be.”

All university areas, including the residence halls, will be alcohol free from Veishea’s opening to closing ceremonies.

“Because of the university expectations for a dry Veishea, consumption of alcohol will not be permitted in the hall even by those who are 21 and older,” Benjamin said. “Residence hall staff who will be working during Veishea will abide by that expectation as well.”

Posters as well as letters detailing the expectations during Veishea are being placed in mailboxes right now, Englin said.

“I think it is terrific people come,” he said. “I enjoy Veishea, but it is all about behaving responsibly. [Residents] should pay attention to who they invite and take responsibility for themselves and their guests.”

Registration rules were in effect last year after the university changed the structure of Veishea, and department officials are optimistic they will be a success.

“Last year we had this, and we had few incidents,” Benjamin said. “We were pretty comfortable that students’ safety was maintained, and everything went well in the halls.”