Asian American Heritage Celebration to kick off

Kati Jividen

A Hmong storyteller, rap artist and actor will kick off the Third Annual Asian American Heritage Celebration with his performance of “Bruce Lee Meets Snoop Doggy Dogg” Sunday.

Tou Ger Xiong will use his comedic talents to educate people about the Hmong culture.

“[Xiong] uses humor [in his performance], and he is really funny,” said Douaneng Lee, member of the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition, one of the celebration’s sponsors.

“Last time I saw him, he was aiming towards Hmong people because it was a Hmong convention, but I think [his performance] will be more universal this time.”

Xiong, who performs out of Minneapolis, has been featured on national radio and on the International Cable Channel with his documentary “Hmong Means Free.”

Lee, senior in chemical engineering, said Xiong’s extensive research makes him very knowledgeable about Hmong culture.

Additional activities focusing on the Asian American culture will take place throughout April. All the activities celebrate the national Asian American culture month, which is held throughout May.

A double elimination basketball tournament sponsored by APAAC will be held April 3 in Beyer Hall from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Entrance fee for the tournament is $60 in advance and $75 at the door.

“The [event] is open to anyone who wants to play, not just Iowa State students,” said Sarah Yun, treasurer of the basketball tournament committee. “We have some people coming from Des Moines to play.”

Trophies will be handed out to first- through third-place winners. An additional $200 in cash will be given to the first-place winner.

A party will follow the tournament celebrating the Lao-Thaidam Student Association New Year.

Meaghan Kozar, adviser of APAAC, will give a presentation titled “Multiculturalism — Division or Unity?” April 6 at the Asian American Cultural Center, 1501 Helser Hall.

“It will be a lunch discussion about multiculturalism,” said Kozar, who also is program assistant for Minority Student Affairs.

An Asian Film Festival will be held April 9 from 7 p.m. to midnight in 1352 Gilman Hall. The films for the festival are to be announced.

The final activity for the celebration will be the Mixed Blood Theatre: “Eastern Parade: An Asian American Journey” held April 15 at 1 p.m. in The M-Shop.

The Mixed Blood Theatre troop is an Asian American anthology focusing on various Asian cultures such as Korean, Cambodian and Hmong.

The organizers of the celebration hope students and faculty will obtain a greater knowledge about the Asian community.

“We are promoting Asian unity and a greater awareness of Asian Americans,” said Yun, junior in journalism and mass communication.

Kozar also said she would like everyone to learn about the history of Asian American culture.

“This [celebration] is not just for people of Asian descent,” she said. “We want to encourage everyone to attend.”

Sponsors of the celebration are the Multicultural Task Force, Minority Student Affairs, Student Union Board, Committee on Lectures and the Multicultural Support Group.