Ames’ open boards and commissions seek student input

Jenny Barlow

Iowa State students can learn more about their majors and the operations of city government by serving on one of Ames’ boards and commissions.

“There are currently some Iowa State students serving on some boards, and it has been that way for a number of years,” said Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco. “It is important to get input from the student body because it is such an integral part of the community.”

To date, there have been only 12 applications submitted from people throughout the community to fill more than 30 seats open on the various boards and commissions.

Some boards and commissions seeking representatives include Human Relations Investigations, Electrical Examiners and Appeals, Mechanical Code Board of Appeals, Plumbing Examiners and Appeals and Library Court of Appeals.

“The Parks and Recreation Commission would appeal to exercise sport science students; design majors would possibly enjoy the Public Arts Commission or Commission on the Arts; and the Historic Preservation Commission would relate to history students,” said Jill Ripperger, Ames deputy city clerk.

There also are positions for students to learn more about extracurricular activities.

“The Partner Cities Association would be an ideal position for those who enjoy traveling and learning about other cultures,” said Clare Bills, Ames public relations officer.

The term lengths for the boards and commissions vary from three to five years.

“I would encourage students to apply, but they must understand that some of these positions require attendance at meetings during the summer months during the term,” Tedesco said.

Applicants must be Ames residents, and ISU students fill that requirement if they live within the city limits.

“Besides students, college professors could also benefit the commissions by using their background and knowledge to promote the city,” Bills said.

Tedesco said candidates for the seats must show knowledge and interest in the position.

“It’s not necessary that the candidate has a career in the field of the commission because selection is not based on their occupation, but it is more important to show much interest in the job,” he said.

Applications for the seats are available on the Internet at www.city.ames.ia.us or can be picked up at Ames Public Library or by calling the city clerk’s office. They are due Feb. 19.

“These positions can help Ames residents better understand how the local government works and where local ordinances start,” Tedesco said. “Serving on a board or commission is an irreplaceable experience that money couldn’t buy.”