DPS charges freshman with first-degree theft

Carrie Tett

An Iowa State student suspected of stealing a vehicle was arrested Dec. 10 and charged with first-degree theft by Department of Public Safety officers.

Guthrie Adrian Perry, 18, freshman in pre-electrical engineering of 1304 Birch Hall, was observed operating a stolen 1999 Chevrolet Suburban on campus the morning of Dec. 10, according to DPS reports. Officers found the vehicle in Parking Lot 59E near Helser Hall.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of DPS, said the vehicle was reported stolen on Sept. 25 from a car dealership in Brookfield, Wis. At the time of recovery, the Suburban had license plates registered to another car.

The vehicle was worth $41,000, and DPS impounded it when its stolen status was confirmed, Stewart said.

Stewart said Perry was transported to the Story County Jail on Dec. 11 and was held on $15,000 bond.

Perry told police he acquired the stolen vehicle from an unknown party by trading his 1988 Mazda in addition to paying $500 cash. Perry claimed the transaction was made in the Milwaukee area, where he has a permanent address.

Story County Attorney Stephen Holmes said Perry pleaded guilty during the first week of January and currently is awaiting sentencing.

If convicted of the Class C felony, Perry could be incarcerated for no more than 10 years and pay a fine of $500-$10,000.

Holmes said Perry was released and is at home in Milwaukee awaiting sentencing.