Students plan to study over spring break

Jenny Barlow

Studying over spring break may seem like punishment, but for some Iowa State students it will be the experience of a lifetime as they study abroad in places like Honduras, Costa Rica and the Yucatan.

“Studying abroad over spring break may end up being less expensive then going to a holiday resort in Florida or somewhere; plus, you are earning credits,” said Trevor Nelson, study abroad coordinator.

Lisa Breja, agricultural education adviser, along with 38 ISU students, faculty and staff, visited Costa Rica last spring to learn about agriculture in the country.

The students earned three credits for enrolling in Agricultural Education Studies 496 and went to weekly meetings before the trip.

“We were given a tour of the agriculture school of the University of Costa Rica and some plantations,” Breja said. “It was especially useful to students who have only been exposed to Iowa crops and farming methods.”

Randy Andreasen, assistant professor of agriculture education, is head of the program this year. He said 20 students currently are enrolled in the class and space is still available to anyone interested.

The class also provides opportunities for students to explore the country and its culture.

“I remember being frustrated trying to order my food from McDonald’s because of my poor Spanish and being laughed at by locals at a night club because of our different dancing styles,” said Mike Koenigs, senior in agricultural studies.

Andreasen said the emphasis of the program is on familiarizing the participants with agriculture, but it is not limited to students of the College of Agriculture.

Another study abroad group will be traveling to Honduras to explore marine biology. The trip will have ISU students scuba diving and snorkeling while learning about coral reef biology, reef invertebrates, fishes and dolphins.

“Eleven students participated last year, and we are expecting a similar number for this spring,” said Donald Sakaguchi, associate professor of zoology.

Students who register for Biology 394, a two-credit class, are required to have one year of college-level biology.

“The program involves on-site lectures by local experts and many water-based activities like scuba diving and snorkeling,” Sakaguchi said.

“Grading is based on the student’s research project, report and oral presentation,” he said. “There are still some openings in the class, but students must get in touch with me immediately.”

International Studies 420 offers three credits and a trip to Merida, Mexico to see the ancient ruins of Chichen Itza and Uxmal.

Topics of the class include Mexican civilization, Mexican government and the business and history of the Yucatan.

“The trip to the Yucatan is designed for students in the College of Business and [Liberal Arts and Sciences], but we’ll accept students from any background,” Nelson said.

Students studying in Merida will live with a host family while going on field trips and learning about government, industrial and educational institutions.

“Obviously, the combination of studying abroad and spring break gives the students opportunities to get away from Iowa and out of the country while really learning something about the place they visit,” Nelson said.

Koenigs encouraged students to consider studying abroad over spring break.

“It is a really good experience, especially for someone who has never traveled, ” Koenigs said. “They have the trip all set up for you and you get to travel with your friends in a group. You can’t beat it.”