New society teaches aspects of African American community

Andrea Hauser

Iowa State students in African American studies or those with an interest in African American history and issues will soon have a new resource on campus.

A new student group at ISU called the African American Studies Society was created by Valerie Grimm, former ISU African American studies professor, and J. Herman Blake, professor of educational leadership and policy studies.

Dashan Sardine, society member and junior in community health education, said the African American Studies Society is for students interested in learning about different aspects of the African American community.

“It’s a forum to discuss issues involved in African American studies; it’s mainly a discussion to talk about different issues. It’s a very broad area,” she said.

Nate Berry, society member and junior in business, said the society is still in a formative stage, but plans are being made for future activities and events.

Sardine said some of these involve bi-monthly discussion meetings, a newsletter, hosting events at the Black Cultural Center and guest speakers at meetings.

Berry said attendance at the first group meetings was sparse, resulting in difficulties starting the group off on sure footing. He also said despite its primary organizational problems, he is looking to the future with anticipation.

“It gives me an opportunity to learn about African American issues on campus, ” he said. “It’s a chance to talk to people of other cultures about issues.”

Sardine and Berry said students interested in joining the African American Studies Society are welcome to come to the next meeting held on Feb. 5 at noon in the Oak Room of Memorial Union.

“[The society] is a great way to interact with people of various cultures. It’s a very diverse group to have very open discussions, meet different people,” Sardine said.

Those who are planning to attend the meeting are asked to send an e-mail to [email protected] so organizers can have an idea of how many people will be attending.