Students search for Christmas jobs

Andrea Hauser

Winter break provides an opportunity for students to make that extra bit of cash to pay their university bills or fund spring break plane tickets.

Many students are taking advantage of this time and finding jobs, ranging from businesses in their hometowns to research positions at Iowa State.

Anna Mae, office manager of Younkers at North Grand Mall, 2801 Grand Ave., said it is a good idea to start working during the holiday season.

Marisa Stam, executive of team relations at Target, 620 Lincoln Way, said most of the holiday positions there already have been filled.

“We try to have people working by October so that everyone knows what’s going on,” she said.

Bev Madden, director of Career Services, said students looking for employment over winter break should take advantage of some of their connections at home.

“Check the want ads, call home and ask if there are any businesses that are looking for employees,” she said.

Brian Hickey, freshman in agriculture business, said he plans to return to a previous job over break.

“I worked on my neighbor’s farm all through high school, so I work there every time I go back,” he said.

Kelly McCracken, sophomore in psychology, is in a similar situation.

“[I’m going to] work at Younkers down in Des Moines,” she said. “I worked there over the summer, so I’m going back [and] making some money over break.”

If all else fails, there is usually work to be done at ISU.

“I applied at school; it’s a research job for a professor,” said Melissa Kirkendall, junior in psychology. “It was pretty easy to find.”