College receptions answer questions

Kate Kompas

For Iowa State students and parents who may have questions about the individual colleges and departments, Family Weekend is offering college receptions as an opportunity to inform and educate.

The receptions, which showcase the seven colleges at ISU, will feature exhibits, campus tours, presentations and question-and-answer sessions for participants.

The receptions will be held on Saturday, from 9 to 11 a.m.

Student leaders, faculty and staff and various college administrators will be present.

Chad Rieck, special events coordinator for the Family Weekend Committee, said there will be many interesting, hands-on activities for both the students and parents.

“Each of the different colleges are going to be having their own reception,” Rieck said.

He said the receptions provide a chance for vital questions to be answered.

“It gives parents a chance to meet with some of the different advisers and to see all the different things the colleges have to offer,” Rieck said.

Dave Critchlow, adviser of the Student Alumni Association, said the college receptions are an annual event for the weekend.

“[The receptions] will be letting the parents know what their son or daughter is going to be doing at Iowa State,” Critchlow said.

Kathy Curtis, who is in her fourth year as the coordinator of college receptions for the College of Business, agreed that the receptions help answer pressing questions.

“I do think it gives parents an opportunity to interact with both faculty and staff members from the colleges … and ask them questions or concerns and find out what’s going on,” Curtis said.

Curtis also stressed that the receptions are great for ISU freshmen who are still learning the ropes.

“It gives new students a chance to talk to the dean and the professors after they’ve had a couple of weeks [to adjust],” she said. “Often new questions come up.”

Curtis said one of the most typical questions asked at the receptions is “How can I get more involved within my college?”

“[The receptions] reassure them — there are a lot of avenues of support for students at Iowa State,” she said.

Curtis also said the receptions are equally valuable for ISU faculty.

“It reminds us of the concerns that parents and students have,” she said.

Curtis said the weekend will be especially enjoyable for the parents involved.

“It’s certainly one the parents look back on with fond memories,” Curtis said.

The college receptions will be held in each of the following locations:

• The College of Agriculture — Scheman Building
  • The College of Business — Carver Hall
  • The College of Design — Design Atrium
  • The College of Education — Lagomarcino N-031
  • The College of Engineering — Marston Hall
  • The College of Family and Consumer Sciences — LeBaron Lounge
  • The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences — Catt Hall
  • The College of Veterinary Medicine — Vet College

A shuttle will be provided for participants.

The three different campus locations for pick-up are Forker Hall, MacKay Hall and Marston Court.

The shuttle times will be 8:30 to 11:00 a.m., and 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.