Solar car riding strong

Nina Fox

Iowa State’s solar car team is riding into the new school year with a new look.

Last year’s solar car has gone through some drastic changes that team members say will make this year’s car, PrISUm, more successful than ever.

“The most noticeable change is the shape,” said Allen Ihlefeld, a member of Team prISUm. “Since last year’s race was going from north to south, the car had a backwards sloping solar ray.”

This year’s car features a bubble canopy and an all around flatter style. Other special features include wheel motors and a lead-acid battery.

One new feature on the body of the car is an added carbon-fiber shell which will actually be part of the frame. “It is lighter, and the frame will contain a fiberglass board and feature low-temperature composites,” Ihlefeld said.

A recent press release stated the car will weigh close to 700 pounds and will be 18.3 feet long and 6.5 feet wide.

“I would describe it as an air foil, at least that’s what we call it,” said Andy Earhart, senior in construction engineering and a four-year member of the ISU solar car team.

Faculty and approximately 20 students, 15 returning from last year, have been working hard researching the electrical system and suspensions and testing new designs. Ihlefeld said he is expecting about 30 students to be involved by the time testing and construction begin.

“This year we were prepared better and there was more research,” Earhart said. Earhart has put in about 10 to 15 hours per week, but he said some of the students work up to 40 hours per week on research and design.

This is ISU’s fifth year to enter the solar car race, and the faculty and team have confidence in their latest design. The ISU solar car team competed in ’90, ’93, ’95 and ’97. The 1993 car finished in 10th place out of 36 entries — ISU’s highest rank. That race traveled from Dallas to Minneapolis.

This year’s race, titled Sunrayce ’99, will cover 1,340 miles. It begins June 20 in Washington, D.C. and ends June 29 in Orlando, Fla.

The ISU Solar Car Team faces some fierce competition. “About 60 teams from colleges and universities enter the race, but I’m guessing only 40 will race,” Ihlefeld said. “Anyone can go to watch the race, but about 15 to 18 students will actually go to Washington along with some faculty members.”

As of now, the design is finished, and Ihlefeld expects the construction of PrISUm to be completed in January. At that time, the car will be tested and raced on the roads.

PrISUm will be on display April 16-18 for students and faculty to explore during Veishea.