Takeaways: Iowa State dominates against West Virginia

Then-redshirt senior Willie Miklus wrestles Christian Dulaney during the Iowa State vs SIU-Edwardsville match Nov. 11, 2018, in Stephens Auditorium. The Cyclones won nine of the 10 matches over the Cougars.

Zane Douglas

The Iowa State wrestling team handed notched its sixth dual win of the year on Sunday by a score of 36-3 over West Virginia.

Iowa State dominates

It was a dominating performance at just about every turn for the Cyclones. Without wasting any time, redshirt senior Willie Miklus started the dual off with a pin.

The only loss for Iowa State was at 165-pounds, where freshman Logan Schumacher was outlasted by 3-2 decision by No. 20 Nick Kiussis. Redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman kept up his dominating year with a win by fall, and redshirt sophomore Samuel Colbray wrapped up the convincing win with a tech fall that only lasted two periods.

Gomez bounces back

The 133-pound redshirt freshman Austin Gomez won his bout on Sunday by 8-4 decision. It doesn’t sound spectacular, but #7 Gomez is coming off his worst performance of his collegiate career after he was pinned on Thursday against Rider’s Austin Cefelo.

Gomez was also wrestling against #15 Matthew Schmitt for the Mountaineers on Sunday.

Gomez has burst onto the scene this year, and now he is trying to prove that the Thursday loss was a fluke.

Iowa State rising

Iowa State has enjoyed a meteoric rise this season in the wrestling rankings, and the team sat at #16 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association coaches poll coming into the events of this weekend.

This win against West Virginia came away from home and was within the conference which will both help Iowa State’s case.

Last season, the Cyclones sported a mediocre 8-10 dual record in coach Kevin Dresser’s first year as the front man for Iowa State.

This season has been a huge improvement with the Cyclones off to a 6-1 start in duals, with their only loss coming to #4 Iowa in a 19-18 affair.

The Cyclones haven’t yet faced the brunt of Big 12 play yet, so it is yet to be seen whether this trend will continue, but the schedule hasn’t been exceptionally weak to this point either.