September 29th Movement tells Regents Catt Hall case is being ‘ignored’

Sara Ziegler

Citing a “flawed naming process” and exclusionary practices at Iowa State, members of The September 29th Movement pleaded their case for reopening the Catt Hall naming process to the Iowa Board of Regents Wednesday.

Simon Huss, graduate student in materials science and engineering, and Milton McGriff, graduate student in English, delivered a 15-minute presentation to the board during its monthly meeting in Iowa City.

“Our concerns and our scholarship have been ignored,” Huss said.

Huss presented material to the board about the original naming process and the controversy surrounding Carrie Chapman Catt. He said The Movement doesn’t deny the positive aspects of Catt’s life, but objects to the way questions about her political tactics were handled in the original naming process.

“Controversy about her life was ignored or suppressed,” he said.

McGriff spoke to the board about exclusion of minority students at ISU. He said the name of the building, and the process by which it was named, “represents an attitude that manifests itself in all areas of Iowa State,” including the lack of an Asian-American studies program, a low graduation rate for African-American students and low overall minority enrollment.

“A policy committing the university to diversity should include thoughts and comments from the community,” McGriff said.

Huss and McGriff asked the Board of Regents to reopen the Catt Hall naming process and to restate commitment to minority enrollment at ISU.

However, members of the Board of Regents said they would not take any action as a result of the presentation. Regent James Arenson said The Movement brought up important issues of diversity, but that the board would most likely stand by Jischke regarding the Catt Hall issue.

“I support President Jischke’s position, although I realize, as I think he does, that there are different points of view,” he said.

Arenson said the diversity issues raised by Huss and McGriff, such as low minority enrollment and retention rates, should be the board’s focus.

“We don’t have to agree about Catt Hall,” he said. “It’s more important that we work together to improve the climate of diversity.”

Jischke, who also was in attendance during the presentation, said the information Huss and McGriff displayed was similar to what The Movement presented to him in April.

Jischke said there were “a number of things taking place” to resolve some of the issues brought forth by The Movement, including the Government of the Student Body Catt Hall Committee for Review and a diversity committee debate.

“Our commitment to diversity remains strong,” he said.

Jischke also said the university has hired additional faculty in the minority studies fields and is working on the issue of minority student retention. However, Jischke said after reading material on Catt available in Parks Library, his opinion has not changed on renaming the building.

“I do not believe I would recommend a change,” he said.

Regent Beverly Smith said the board would leave the decision to Jischke.

“I think we have a very competent administration at ISU,” she said.

Arenson agreed. “My sense is that the regents support President Jischke and Catt Hall will remain Catt Hall,” he said.

Huss said The Movement’s next step will be to give a similar presentation to the state legislative education committee. They also are looking to reorganize in the fall.