Alumni Days kicks off today

Dawn Kanoski

The class of 1948 will converge at Iowa State this weekend for the traditional celebration of Alumni Days.

David Orth, assistant director of alumni events, said the June 4-6 event is a 50-year reunion for alumni from the class of 1948. Other classes such as 55, 60 and 65-year alumni are also invited.

The celebration is an opportunity for alumni to return to and enjoy the campus and also reunite with some old classmates, Orth said.

The festivities kick off on Thursday with a Carillon concert, Campanile tours and a blanket-party box-lunch.

Orth said in the past, students frequently used to bring their lunches and blankets to central campus to eat and socialize. He said holding a blanket-party box-lunch for Alumni Days is a good way to bring back a bit of the past.

On Friday, the Gold Medal Awards Dinner and Dance will be held in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. All returning alumni from the class of 1948 will be presented a gold medal signifying their 50 years in the Iowa State family.

ISU President Martin Jischke will bestow the medals to the alumni. Following dinner and the program, Gwynn and The Guys will provide music for socialization and dancing.

Saturday, Jischke and his wife Patty will host a breakfast buffet at The Knoll. This is a popular event among the alumni because it gives the guests a chance to tour The Knoll, Orth said.

Also on Saturday, the Fountain of the Four Seasons will be re-dedicated and restored to working order.

The class of 1948 chose to re-dedicate the fountain as their class gift. This event will close the Alumni Days celebration.

Orth said he expects between 250-300 alumni to attend.

The planning for this event began in March when a schedule of events and registration cards were mailed to the alumni.

The Memorial Union hotel, along with various other Ames establishments, will house many of the returning guests. Alumni were also offered the option to stay in the residence halls during the celebration, and a few alumni will be spending the weekend in Maple Hall.

Student volunteers have helped coordinate the events and will be on hand to help out and make sure things run smoothly, Orth said. The students will also be transporting the guests from Des Moines to Ames and around Ames to various events, he said.

Orth called Alumni Days “a great showcase for Iowa State.”

He said because the alumni love this event and are excited to come back, it is a great way to reconnect them with ISU.