Used furniture a money-saver for some Iowa State students

Elizabeth Thompson

Students on a tight budget don’t have to sit on their dorm or apartment floors until they have enough money for new furniture.

“If you’re willing to buy used, you’re saving a lot of money,” said Jenna Brown, an employee at Goodwill Store, 3718 Lincoln Way. A nice couch costs about $50 at Goodwill, Brown said.

Cindy Kane, manager of The Salvation Army Thrift Store, 411 Kellogg Ave., said one could save at least 75 percent by buying used instead of new.

Some Iowa State students say they not only benefit in price, but also because used furniture is the eye-catching way to decorate a residence.

“Used furniture is much more unique,” said Jaclyn Sprong, an incoming freshman. “Every piece is going to be different,” she said.

The Salvation Army sells everything from couches to bar sets. Shoppers can buy subtle furniture, including a like-new beige couch, or a more original piece, such as a green, brown and orange plaid couch. Buyers could even buy a bar set made of wooden barrels.

Kane said variety is a reason students are drawn to The Salvation Army.

“It’s a fun place to shop. So many different things come in,” she said.

Kane added that buying from The Salvation Army helps others. Money earned by The Salvation Army, a non-profit organization, supports an adult rehabilitation program and many other programs, she said.

“They do a lot of good work,” Kane said.

Brown said Goodwill offers a similar selection.

“If you’re looking for something, you can find it here,” Brown said.

Goodwill also is a non-profit organization, said Goodwill manager Rodney Tomlinson.

The store supports a training program for physically, mentally and emotionally handicapped and vocationally challenged people, Tomlinson said. He said the program trains them to be self-sufficient.

Students seem to understand the advantages of buying used furniture. Brown said a lot of students come in looking for furniture at Goodwill.

“I don’t know any college students that don’t have used furniture. It’s something everybody uses,” said Danielle Fultz, sophomore in art and dietetics.

In addition to second-hand stores and garage sales, Sprong said auctions and junk yards are good opportunities to find used furniture.

Fultz said purchasing used furniture isn’t the only way to save.

She said students who are pinching their pennies often look for hand-me-downs from friends.

Sprong added that people can also pick up “curb goodies” or “roadside furniture.”

“I know people who get a lot of stuff that way,” Sprong said.

But some consumers say buying used goods has its pitfalls.

“It’s lived-in. It’s not going to be as comfortable,” Brown said.

Fultz said used furniture doesn’t look as nice and that the choices are limited, making it “hard to find exactly what you’re looking for.”