Catt Hall issue perceived as ‘rebirth of passion’ at ISU

Conor Bezane

Members of The September 29th Movement gave a detailed research presentation Wednesday night outlining the group’s views and goals regarding the Carrie Chapman Catt Hall issue.

The event served as an outlet for The Movement to express its opinions, and as an open forum for members of the Iowa State community to contribute their ideas about the issue. About 60 people were in attendance for the presentation, which took place at 5 p.m. in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

Opening remarks were given by Vernie Hawkins, enrollment service adviser for the Office of Admissions who is also a member of the Black Faculty and Staff.

“In the last 5 years or so, I’ve seen a rebirth of passion on college campuses,” Hawkins said. He added that the various sponsors “lended support to this presentation not because we agree with one position or another but because of the passion.”

The presentation was sponsored by the Ames Branch of the NAACP, the Black Faculty and Staff of ISU, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., the Ronald E. McNair Achievement Program, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the United Christian Campus Ministry.

After trying to meet with ISU President Martin Jischke for the past three years, The Movement finally received its request April 22.

The presentation given Wednesday was the same one given to Jischke on April 22.

Movement member Milton McGriff gave some background on his ties with The Movement, and then a slide presentation was shown.

Movement members Tai Coleman and Meron Wondwosen went on to explain the objectives and history behind The Movement.

Since its establishment in February of 1996, The Movement has worked with the intention of changing the name of Catt Hall, a building on ISU’s campus named on Oct. 6, 1995 after women’s suffrage activist Carrie Chapman Catt.

The Movement argues that the naming process for Catt Hall was exclusive and that no people of color were involved.

The statements of Carrie Chapman Catt have been heavily researched by The Movement, which has determined some of Catt’s statements to embody “political racism, classism, xenophobia and political nativism,” Movement members said during the presentation.

Coleman and Wondwosen outlined some primary and secondary sources dealing with Carrie Chapman Catt.

Primary sources included speeches as well as essays written by Catt, containing statements to which The Movement has expressed objection.

Secondary sources were comprised of essays and articles published in scholarly journals, newspapers and magazines. Some of these were statements issued by Jischke and published in the Iowa State Daily and ethos Magazine.

“The Movement has never contended that Carrie Chapman Catt has not done great deeds,” Wondwosen, senior in political science and French, said. “Because she did these wonderful things, for her to have used racism, classism and xenophobia is unacceptable.”

Although the primary focus of the meeting was to discuss the Catt Hall issue, speakers said the situation affects other issues as well.

The presentation stated that “The naming of Catt Hall symbolizes an attitude toward students of color that manifests in many areas of life.”

These areas include “recruitment, scholarships, cutbacks in funding and resources, neglect of LGTB issues, absence of an Asian-American studies program, under funding for ethnic and gender studies and the lack of full time directors for ethnic and gender studies.”

After the in-depth examination and research presentation, the floor was opened for members of the audience to ask questions or offer rebuttals.

The first response was delivered by Tim Lane, the great-great-nephew of Carrie Chapman Catt.

“I am extremely grieved to hear people say [Catt] was a racist and a classist. My main concern here is the unanswered questions I have. Where were the deeds of my great-great-Aunt Catt?” Lane said.

Discussion then lifted to a heated debate between Movement members and Lane.

“[The Catt Hall issue] is a mentality problem that affects more than that building. It’s not about them being wrong and us being right,” McGriff said. “I’m saying the university has ignored people of color.”

After the question and rebuttal session, representatives from the sponsors of the meeting gave some final remarks.

“In a time of diversity, things have to change,” McGriff said. “Diversity is minimized on this campus … It took us three years to get an off-the-record meeting with the administration, and we are still ignored,” he added.