Hamburger cook-off challenges best chefs

Dawn Kanoski

Hamburgers, college deans and special ingredients will be plentiful at the annual Veishea faculty cook-off.

The Culinary Extravaganza will be held Friday on central campus from noon to 1 p.m.

The Veishea special events committee is in charge of the event and will be providing the hamburger for each cook, said Heather Plagman, special events co-chairwoman.

There are no rules or limitations as to what can be used in the hamburgers, but Plagman said cooks must provide their own additional ingredients.

The Veishea committee recruits deans from each college, and if the dean does not wish to participate the assistant dean is asked, Plagman said. This year, each college will have someone representing them in the cook-off, she said.

Students judges will decide the title of best burger. The voting process will consist of the judges voting for the numbered hamburgers by ballot.

Plagman encouraged all students to attend and cast their vote for master chef while sampling some great burgers.

The winner of the cook-off will be awarded a prize, the identity of which is being kept secret by the Veishea special events committee.

Plagman said the event is a “great way for students to interact with faculty and staff. It is neat to see a lighter side of faculty.”