Civil engineering professor dies Saturday

Tara Deering

Former Iowa State professor of civil engineering, Hon Pong Fung, died of a stroke Saturday at Mercy Hospital Medical Center in Des Moines.

Fung, 77, was born in Hong Kong in 1920 and has been an Ames resident since 1946.

He was known as a dedicated educator and was named professor emeritus in 1985.

Following his more than 30 years of teaching at ISU, Fung served on the board of governors for the ISU Foundation, was a member of the Order of the Knoll and was on the board of directors for the Green Hills Retirement Community.

In keeping with his desire to support higher education, he endowed two scholarships at ISU in honor of his late wife, Sui Tong Chan Fung, and his late parents.

Fung received his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering at Lingnan University in Canton, China in 1943, and worked as an instructor at National Chiao-Tung University in Chungking, China, until he came to the United States. In 1959, he became a U.S. citizen.

Upon arriving in America, Fung went on to pursue his education by earning a master’s and doctorate degree in civil engineering from Iowa State College in 1948 and 1956.

Fung was a member of numerous committees, including Sigma Xi, an engineering honor society, and the Kiwanis Club.

He also was active in enabling the growth and development of Youth and Shelter Services of Ames.

Many ISU students may have known of Fung from his international gift shop, The Golden Monarch Ltd., located in Campustown.

Fung successfully owned and operated the store for more than 12 years. After retiring as a professor of civil engineering, Fung continued to be active.

In 1996, he was instrumental in creating the Chinese Cultural Center of America, an organization seeking to share the richness of Asia with Iowa and the nation.

He served as co-chairman for the international advisory board of the center.

A memorial service will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at Collegiate United Methodist Church, 2622 West Lincoln Way, in Ames.

A private burial will be held at the Iowa State Cemetery following the service.

Memorial contributions may be mad to the ISU Foundation.