Room, board increase accepted

Sara Ziegler

Along with a 3.9 percent increase in tuition and fees, Iowa State students will probably pay an extra $275 in room and board next year.

At their monthly meeting in Ames last Wednesday, the Board of Regents unanimously accepted ISU’s plan to increase rates for students in double-occupancy rooms with a 20-meals-per-week plan to $3,922.

The board will take a final vote on the proposal next month.

Randy Alexander, director of residence, said the 7.5 percent increase, which would go into effect May 11, will fund much-needed maintenance in the residence halls.

This work has been left undone in recent years because ISU has not generated enough revenue for improvements.

He said the increase would be used “primarily to address some deferred maintenance.”

These renovations include the replacement of the Oak/Elm residence hall roof, improvements to meet handicap-accessibility regulations and upgrading fire escapes to meet fire codes.

ISU’s room and board proposal also includes providing cable television to each dorm room.

As of May 11, ISU students would pay an extra $4 per year, on top of the room and board fee, for basic and expanded basic service from TCI of Central Iowa.

Alexander said although the 7.5 percent seems high, it would bring ISU’s room and board rate to a level more consistent with room and board rates at other colleges across the country.

“Even with the increase, our room and board rate is one of the lowest in the country,” Alexander said.

Only Kansas State has a lower rate in the Big 12 than ISU, and ISU would still be fourth-lowest in the conference after the increase.

Regent Lisa Ahrens, sophomore in agronomy at ISU, said contrary to the controversy over next year’s tuition hike, students have not contacted her about the most recent increase. “I think they’re OK with it,” she said.

Alexander said students have responded positively to the proposed increase.

The raise was put to a vote in all of the residence associations, and it passed in each one.

He said students are willing to pay more in room and board if improvements are made in their living conditions.

“Students are very supportive if [the increase] is used to improve facilities,” he said. “They know about the leaks.”

Because of differing repair needs in Buchanan Hall and in the university apartments, residents there would see a lower rate of increase.

Buchanan Hall residents would pay an extra 5.3 percent next year, and apartment dwellers would see an average increase of 6.6 percent. Those new rates would go into effect July 1.

The University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa are also proposing increased room and board rates for next year. Iowa’s rate would increase by 4.3 percent, while UNI’s would go up by 5.2 percent.

The next Board of Regents meeting will be held April 15 at UNI in Cedar Falls.